Best Hiking Trails – Hiking has been a popular outdoor activity for generations. It can be done by anybody, of any age, and with anybody. It’s the perfect way to get away from the city streets’ hustle and bustle and soak in some quiet reflection.
If hiking is your thing, you will be glad to know that there are plenty of destinations where you can go to recharge your batteries, loosen up, and enjoy some hiking fun. We have you covered with round up of the best hiking trails in the U.S. and Europe, which come complete with fascinating canyon descents, dazzling oceans, beautiful forest trails, challenging treks packed with adventure, and more.
Best Hiking Trails of the World
- Half Dome – Yosemite National Park, California
- Kepler Track – Fiordland National Park, New Zealand
- Everest Base Camp via Cho La Pass – Mount Everest, Nepal
- Chilkoot Trail – Dyea, Alaska, to Bennett Lake, Canada
- Whale Trail – De Hoop Nature Reserve, South Africa
- Appalachian Trail – Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Tennessee
- Lycian Way – Fethiye to Antalya, Turkey
- Superior Hiking Trail – Duluth, Minnesota, to the Canadian Border
- Teton Crest Trail – Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming
- Three Capes Track – Tasmania, Australia
- Panorama Ridge – Garibaldi Provincial Park, Canada
- Mount Washington via Tuckerman Ravine – Presidential Range, New Hampshire
- Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim – Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona
- Fisherfields Round – Fisherfield Forest, Scotland
- Chogoria Route to Point Lenana Peak – Mount Kenya, Kenya
- Old Rag – Shenandoah National Park, Virginia
- Tour du Mont Blanc – Switzerland, Italy, France
- Buckskin Gulch to Paria Canyon via Wire Pass Trailhead – Utah-Arizona Border
- Greenstone Ridge Trail – Isle Royale National Park, Michigan
- Paine Circuit Trek – Torres del Paine National Park, Chile
- Lares Trek – Lares, Peru
- South Maroon Peak – Maroon Bells, Colorado
- Camino Primitivo, Camino de Santiago – Oviedo to Santiago de Compostela, Spain
- Kalalau Trail – Kauai, Hawaii
- Wonderland Trail – Mount Rainier National Park, Washington
The scenery is stunning, and the trails are challenging, although not difficult. You can go on a two-day hike or a three-day trek, or even spend a night at the beautiful campgrounds, and then hike the next day again. The Black Canyon campground, located in Montrose County, Colorado, is a popular destination for off-road vehicle enthusiasts during the hunting season, but it is open to hikers all year long.
Oregon has many beautiful hiking spots. Hikers love the Pacific northwest state because of its natural beauty and abundance of wildlife. Its mountain ranges, forests, and valleys offer magnificent hiking trails that go deep into the heart of nature. The famous Columbia River Gorge Trail, known for its spectacular views and challenging ascend toward the top of Mount Hood. Other popular hiking trails include the Klamath National river gorge and the Lewis & Clark National forest trails.
Hawaii has some of the best hiking trails anywhere. The islands are well worth a visit; they consist of beautiful beaches, magnificent mountains, and trails suitable for fitness and skill levels. Two popular Hawaiian trail options are the Kalalau Coast Trail and the Na Pali Coast Trail. The Kalalau Coast Trail is ten miles long, and the Na Pali Coast Trail is seven miles long.
Trekking in Central America offers some of the best hiking trails. This route, which includes portions of the Costa Rican and Mexican borders, is well-marked and often includes hotel-based amenities. Another way in central America, the southern part of Belize, has several hiking opportunities and access to the Caribbean Sea. Parts of Guatemala and Honduras have beautiful jungles, rivers, and lakes that offer an excellent venue for family trips. Hikers can choose to hike along the trails or take a cable car to remote areas.
Europe offers some of the best hiking trails. Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland, and Italy all feature hiking opportunities and several other outdoor activities. For example, hiking in Italy can be done on these, the flat roadbeds similar to country roads or ridges. Italy is also famous for its castles, which are popular destinations for tourists. Other hiking locations in Europe include Spain, where you can find the galactically shaped towns of Camino Primitivo, Camino de Santiago.
Whether it’s the best hiking trails of the United States or Europe that you’re looking for, there is a route out there that will take you to your destination. The best thing about these treks is that they can be done almost anywhere from the most remote areas to major cities. No matter what route you select for your Appalachian Trail trek, you will be rewarded with a great outdoor activity that will give you the chance to get away from it all.